Last month, two leading plastic surgery associations released their annual reports revealing the 2014 procedural statistics. Although there were slight differences between the two reports (to reflect their unique membership), both associations found an overall increase in the number of cosmetic procedures being performed in the United States. It is clear that more people are recognizing the life-changing effects of plastic surgery!
As a member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), Dr. Sugene Kim is excited to share the data with her patients.
Key Findings from the ASPS Report
ASPS represents more than 94 percent of all board certified plastic surgeons in the United States. The organization polled its 7,000+ surgeon members and concluded the following:
- 15.6 million procedures (minimally invasive and surgical) were performed last year, which reflects a 3 percent increase since 2013.
- Reconstructive surgery procedures were up 1 percent for a total of 5.8 million procedures.
- The most popular surgical procedures were breast augmentation, rhinoplasty, liposuction, eyelid surgery and facelift.
- The most popular non-surgical procedures were Botox, fillers, chemical peel, laser hair removal and microdermabrasion.
- In total, cosmetic procedures have increased 111 percent since 2000.
Key Findings from the ASAPS Report
Comprised of more than 2,600 plastic surgeons, ASAPS focuses entirely on aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine. In their 18th year surveying members, ASAPS found the following:
- More than 10 million cosmetic procedures were performed in 2014.
- Buttock augmentation, labiaplasty and non-surgical fat reduction procedures showed the most growth.
- Surgical and non-surgical procedures for men continued to increase — more than a 43 percent increase over last year.
- Blepharoplasty for men was up 34 percent since 2009.
- Male breast reduction was up 33 percent since 2009.
- The most popular surgical procedure for women and men was liposuction (342,484 procedures performed).
- The most popular non-surgical procedure for women and men was Botox (3,588,218 procedures performed).
- Americans spent more than $12 billion on surgical and non-surgical procedures (same as 2013).
Is This Your Year for Change?
Will 2015 be the year to pursue your cosmetic procedure of choice? Let Dr. Kim explain your options and suggest a customized treatment plan. Please contact SGK Plastic Surgery today by calling (281) 363-4546 and schedule an informational consultation.